Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Mermaid with Tangled Hair



"I Live in the Mists of Time and Eternity"


I have been drawing faces for quite a while now, for something different I am trying to show emotion in the eyes.

This mermaid was sketched on top of watercolor paper that was previously coated with a thin layer of gesso.  The colors on the paper come from several sources.  First of all I applied StazOn Studio Glaze with a baby wipe in Emerald City, Blue Hawaii, and Cactus Green.  I watered down some of the Studio Glaze in Gold and using a paintbrush, splattered it across the page.  I allowed the colors to dry before I sketched her hair out around her face, dividing it into sections that could hold different tangled patterns.  Using a Micron 08 black pen I began tangling patterns into the sections.  I did use a Stabilo pencil in a couple of the sections and then turned it into a wash with a wet paint brush.  The fish tail is also done with StazOn Studio Glaze in the Cactus Green color applied directly to the paper and allowed to dry, which gives it dimension and texture.  I used a stencil to add more texture all around the image with Creative Medium Turquoise Iridescent paste.  Finally a light smear of Gelatos in Grape and Metallic Mint were blended down with a baby wipe to soften the edges.  In her hair is written "I live in the mists of time and eternity".

Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate your visits and comments.  Hugs ~ Renee

11 comments:

  1. Great face, fantastic tangling and very cool mermaid! I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word...a new favorite! I love mermaids! LOVE her hair and tail! Most awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. The sketch over top of the subdued background is a perfect look - wonderfully mermaidish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed the emotion! She's got gorgeous hair and yet she's still fretful of the "tangles". Had to play on the words because that's how I read them. Awesome tangling here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mermaid, Renee! I see a ponderance, even a sadness, in her eyes, but she is certainly not without beauty! Colors are perfect. Well done, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee, she is fantastic. One of my favorites of yours for sure. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is stunning! I love her hair! Thank you for linking to Show Your Face, do come and link up again! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this is THE ultimate in mermaids that I've seen in quite some time. I've downloaded the pic so I might enjoy your artistry more often.

    ReplyDelete