Friday, February 13, 2015

Craft Stampers Challenge Continues::Stenciling!

This month the Take It Make It Challenge is a fun and easy one....just use stencils in your work along with some stamping.  I decided to do a tag that incorporates a stencil, gel medium and some heavy embossing powder.

I started by stamping one of Dyan Reaveley's "Strength" girls on a tag and a scrap piece of paper.  I trimmed out the image on the scrap paper to serve as a mask.

The mask will protect the stamped image as I only want to stencil around it as a background effect.


Next I place my Dreamweaver stencil over the tag and applied an ample amount of IMAGINE Crafts new Turquoise Iridescent Creative Medium paste through the stencil with a palette knife.  While the paste was still wet, I sprinkled Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel powder over the paste and melted it with my heat tool.  Now I have an iridescent dimensional effect on the tag.




I wanted to add background color to this so I colored some Gelatos on top of the stenciling and blended them with a baby wipe.


I colored in the image with Copic and Memento markers; then inked the edges with StazOn Gothic Purple ink.  I hit some of the high points of the stenciling with the ink pad to drag the purple color throughout the tag. I was in a Diva mood so I stamped the word, cut it out and inked the edges with the purple pad and glued it over her eyes.


To add a little bling I sprayed Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Gold and let it pool in the cracks of the stenciling.  The buttons were colored to match with StazOn Studio Glaze and more Gold Sheer Shimmer was sprayed on them.  When the buttons were dry they were glued on top of the pink ribbon tied to the top.


This is just another example of different ways to use a stencil.  Just be sure and wash your stencils immediately after using products like gesso and gel mediums otherwise the intricate designs could become blocked.  I hope you will join in the fun at the Craft Stampers Take It Make It Challenge this month, there are prizes to be won and a chance to be published in the CS magazine!

Take care ~ hugs, Renee xx

10 comments:

  1. Your blog is most definitely one of my online classes blog. :-). I love that you show us how to do stuff. Your tag turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Renee, it`s always a joy to see what you create!! Have a great weekend whatever you are up too xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly gorgeous! All of the texture and saturation of color is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolute yumminess! Love that embossing !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love this one, Renee! Super stencil work/masking here, my friend! I will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really impressive! It caught my attentionon the CS blog, now that I see the sbs , I appreciated it even more. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, another amazing tag!!! Great work for the Craft Stamper challenge, I don't know yet if I will have time to join in but it's very inspirational! Hugs, Coco

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing - love how you masked the divas and surrounded her with the stenciling. Very creative piece indeed.

    ReplyDelete