Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Sacred Hearts Stencil Canvas Series~Spirit

I am continuing to work on my heart stenciled canvases.  This one is called "Spirit".  This collection of heart stencils is made by Artistcellar and has a Steampunk flavor to it so it lends itself well to this project.  This is the finished canvas, there is a tutorial following if you would like to see how it was made.




To begin I have cut a piece of 6" by 6" watercolor paper, applied a thin layer of gesso to it and allowed it to dry.  When the paper is dry I applied Distress Inks in Scattered Straw, Vintage Photo and Broken China to the panel and blended the colors with a baby wipe.


I laid the stencil called "Spirit" on top of the panel and started making an outline of the parts of the stencil with a Stabilo All pencil, this will provide shading later.




Now that my pencil marks are in place I began applying the Broken China DI with an applicator through the stencil.  This activates the Stabilo pencil and changes the color to a gray blue shade.


I sewed a little here and there around the edges of the canvas, leaving the threads long for now, I'll trim them later.

I added some stamping with Memento London Fog ink and StazOn Jet Black ink.  I applied water to the edges of the panel to break them down and age them.  Then I used a distressing tool to tear the edges and then inked them with the StazOn Black ink.



I wanted to have a small punch of red on this canvas, like the others.  With that in mind I drizzled Lady Bug red "irRESISTibles" across the top and let it dry.  I glued the gears and cogs on with a strong adhesive then added Distress Stickles into the open areas of the cogs.  A tiny rhinestone was glued onto the dove.


The finished canvas is now ready to be adhered to the burlap canvas.  I trimmed the threads to the desired length and it is done.  Three canvases down and one to go!


Thanks for joining me today, I have had a lot of fun working on this series.   I hope to see you next Tuesday when I will share more stenciling ideas with Artistcellar stencils. .  Talk to you soon ~ Renee xx

5 comments:

  1. Love your little canvas. Especially the pop of red !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Have to get some of their stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool Renee!! Love the burlap, the drips and the stitching..and the...well, I love everything about it!! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your spirit canvas and all the little details on it. Really good to see the whole process. Thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great creation from this heart series, Renee! I really like the burlap canvas and how you have used it here. Pops of color are perfect!

    ReplyDelete