Friday, July 4, 2014

Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge::Embossing Resist!

I can't believe it is July already!  A new month means another opportunity to be published and win some prizes over at the Take It Make It Challenge presented by the Craft Stamper magazine.  This month our challenge is to use the embossing resist technique.  Here is a description of the challenge technique:

Technique: Heat emboss an image/design onto the project, then colour over the top with inks/watercolour paints. The embossing powder will resist the inks etc, and show through. This could form the focal point to your project, or be part of the background. Real stamping needs to be included as well (in case you doodled with an embossing pen for your resist rather than stamping!!)

Since it is summer and a great time to read outside in my garden I decided to keep it simple and just make a few book markers.  Here is the finished project, if you keep reading you can see a short tutorial demonstrating this easy and fun technique.



I started by cutting a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper  into a strip measuring 3" by 6".  I stamped the flower stamp created by Anneke De Clerck with VersaMark watermark stamp pad.    This ink pad is perfect for embossing.  I stamped the flower three times trying to keep them an equal distance apart.  I decided to use Ranger's White Detail powder to sprinkle on top of the embossing ink.  Then I melted the powder with my heat gun.


I never get tired of watching this process and seeing the powder melt  and turn shiny!  Once the embossed flowers have cooled down then I applied the Dylusions spray inks in Funky Fuchsia, Fresh Lime and Vibrant Turquoise.  I tried to keep the colors separated by blotting the ink off after each color was sprayed.  Just use a roll of paper towels to do this.  You can adjust the deepness of the colors by spraying more water on the inks and blotting until you have just the colors you want.


Now I started adding the finishing touches.  I stamped Dyan Reaveley's border stamp in Jet Black StazOn ink all around the edge.  I looked through Tim Holtz's Chit Chat words and picked out a few, positioned them where I wanted and then coated the top of each word with clear Goosebumps using a tiny paint brush.
I added Goosebumps to the circles in the border, too, they seem to pop out when they are glossy.
After the Goosebumps application had dried I decided to glue the panel on to a black mat that was cut a quarter of an inch larger all around.




Now I have a delightful book marker that didn't take long to make.  What a fun gift to give to friends this summer.  I guarantee that it is hard to stop after making just one, the ideas just keep coming!  The technique has other elements that can be added to change the appearance.  I'll share that with you during the month long challenge.  This is a great project to make along with kids, they are amazed when they watch the embossing powder melt.  Just don't let them try it on their own, the powder does get really hot when melted.

I look forward to seeing what you enter at the Take It Make It Challenge!  Have fun with this.  Talk to you soon.  Hugs~Renee xxx




9 comments:

  1. Full of the joys of a summer's day with that beautiful colour palette which certainly pops against the black.
    Renee, I am starting a new book tonight, one of my favourite things in the world is settling down with a brand new book in my hands.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the white embossing and fun bright colors! Beautiful piece! Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooooove it even more after seeing it up close Renee, adore the colours andvthat flower image!
    Have a great weekend :-)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful garden inspiration. Just love this bookmark. That white against the ink is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee. I looove this stamp! And aren't those colours incredible together! Great idea for summer gifts Renee.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about never tiring of watching the embossing process! I love it, too! Your bookmark is so pretty and light and lovely. The colors just make me happy! Love the words you chose for this bookmark, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely bookmark Renee- would also be nice as a wall piece! I love that you tell the techniques and how you did them- you absolutely inspire me! ")

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say ...... simply gorgeous! Love the bright summery colours ..... they make the white embossing really pop! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really lovely. Love the simple line and lovely colour. Thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete