Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Clowning around with stencils!

I love working on small canvases.  They are not intimidating and can be finished quickly.  Using stencils makes it even easier to complete a fun piece with lots of texture and interest.  Today's project is a small 6" by 6" canvas made with left over acrylic paints, a fun clip art image and some stenciling to pull it all together.  Here is my finished project with a short tutorial if you are interested in seeing how it was achieved.

Cheers!

To begin I covered a 6" by 6" canvas with a thin layer of gesso and allowed it to dry.  When it was thoroughly dry I painted some of Dina Wakley Media acrylic paints randomly on the canvas.  I was working on a different project and didn't want to waste any of that beautiful silky paint.


When the paint was dry I used a stencil called "Numerals" (TCW200) paired with white gesso.  This gives the canvas some raised texture.



Don't worry about any imperfections in the stenciling as these will be covered with the clip art image and rubber stamping.  Embrace the imperfections!  I added some stamping with Jet Black StazOn ink.  The stamps are by Wendy Vecchi and Crescendoh.


For a pop of color I stamped a balloon, colored it red, cut it out, attached it with glue and then added a piece of black waxed twine, punching a tiny hole in the canvas with a needle and tying it off on the back of the canvas.  I taped the twine knots down on the back to make sure they don't pop off later.


I drew a horizon line across the bottom of the canvas to "ground" my clown with a Fude pen and then painted the entire canvas with Creative Medium in clear gel to seal it.  This would make a sweet addition to a child's room or a get well gift for a friend.

Thanks for joining me today.  I'll see you next Tuesday with more stenciling ideas.  In the mean time, take care~ Hugs, Renee

8 comments:

  1. hahaha...this is most certainly a fun art piece! She's like...where did everyone go? I was having such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous canvas, love the colours and the dimension, it's very inspiring so thank you for the tutorial.

    Warm hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, I just need to come by you and paint and play- I could learn so much from you! Your art is so versatile and exciting! Glad I get to see how you do it,at least from your blog! Thanks for sharing! ")

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful canvas ! Love it !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love your small canvases Renee... This one too is very beautiful!! The clip art with your stamped balloon is really cute, and that's a great use of your leftover paints! Also you're right about what you say at the end, such canvas would make a very lovely gift.. I have to do more canvases following your sample! Hugs Coco

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always amaze me! I love the artsy whimsical feel on this! The clown image rocks, and love the vibrant background and numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great mini canvas, Renee! I have never used clip art in my work, but really need to think about that as a great resource! I finally have all of DW paints, but seem to have no time to play with them. Need to fix that! Thanks for sharing and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun canvas! So whimsical... love it. And congrats on all your recent publications! I was catching up on magazines last night and must have seen your work a dozen times... you GO girl!

    ReplyDelete