Friday, May 9, 2014

Craft Stamper Challenge~Potato Stamps

We're at the half way point for the Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge.  The challenge this month, in case you forgot, was to make your own stamp out of a potato.    This time I thought I'd keep it simple and just carve a primitive looking star.  Here is my finished card.  If you keep reading I'm going to show you step by step how I made this.



I used a simple kitchen tool, a paring knife, to carve a small portion of a potato into a star stamp.


I stamped my Zettiology image with Jet Black StazOn ink.  Then I stamped my potato star randomly all over the card.  It was inked up with Wink Of Stella Gold ink.  It has a nice sparkle to it that isn't really reflected in the photo.  I colored in the image using Smooch Accent Ink in Green Apple and Lettuce colors.


Using my Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die I cut flowers out of old book text and then distressed them with Antique Linen Distress Ink.


The centers were stamped with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and Delicata Golden Glitz ink.  I glued the flowers on the left side, stamped a phrase and trimmed it out.  It is also edged with the Wink of Stella Gold pen and popped up with some pop dots.  The words are from Dina Wakley's new stamp line.  The card was finished with the edges distressed with Vintage Photo Ink.  I showed a second option of the card if you added a little more detail with a black permanent ink pen and few more strips of  book text.

Option A

Option B

I hope you will take on the challenge, carve your own stamp and share it with us at the Craft Stamper site.  There are some great prizes to win and a chance to be published in their magazine!

Thanks for stopping by.  If you have a chance to leave a comment please do, I love to read what you think.  In the meantime, take care, talk to you soon ~ Renee

7 comments:

  1. It's a really cute card, Renee! I think I'll pass on the potatoes and leave that mess to you. I love the primitiveness of all the potatoe stamps though. And I love your book page flowers and the girl image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beauty, Renee! You are a real master with potato stamps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely!! Great card and technique Renee! Hugs Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the simplest elements make the biggest impressions! Delightful card Renee!
    Happy Mother's Day to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I have happy memories with those potato stamps~
    Thanks Renee for sharing your magic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am camping on the edge of the N.H. woods, but just wanted to tell you I love your potato stamping!! Take me back a bit--to a very fun time! Great results from an age-old technique, my friend! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete