Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bolton Fair

Every year since I moved here 11 years ago I have entered things at the Bolton Fair.  I guess they have had a Fair here in this small New England town for the past 130 years.  It's pretty wonderful to see.  They have lots of 4H animals, pig races, all kinds of Fair type food (think:  fried dough & pulled pork) and the tent way off in the corner that holds all of the exhibits.  We used to have it in September which coincided perfectly with apple picking time and the harvest of veggies, etc.  Due to weather issues in September they decided a couple of years ago to have the Fair in August when the weather is a little more stable.  That seems to have definitely cut into the Apple Pie division in the competition.  There are still tons of other products that can either be baked or crafted and entered.  So this year for the first time I won't be baking an Apple Pie but I will bake a Cherry/Raspberry Pie.  My baking buddy from up the street, Kristina, will be along side me for the day.  I mix my ingredients and she mixes hers.  We usually bake the same pie but she is still in the Junior Division, I think she is 14 this year.  We've been doing this baking thing for the past 3 years and she has shown an amazing talent for baking.  The rules state that no one else can assist in the making of  your baked goods, you have to make it completely by yourself.  So I cut my shortening in and she does the same on her side of the kitchen island, etc.  She usually bakes two pies, one for the Fair and one for her family.  I told her every family seems to have at least one baker in the group and that person usually bakes something for all special family events.  She is the one in her family that has the gift and the privilege of baking for the rest of her life.  She really does have a gift and has the proof of ribbons from every Fair since she started entering.  She has even won Best of Show for her pies.  I'm very proud of her and I'll be sure and keep you posted on how we do!  If they turn out to be great pies I'll share the recipe, if not I'll probably be very quiet.  Think about us tomorrow.  I get up early and put my tennis shoes on, it is going to be a long day.  I'll have my bar cookies done before she gets here at 11am and then we'll roll up our sleeves and get started.  I'll share the results on Friday.  Keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Catching up after being gone for my niece's wedding.... I was going in newest-oldest order so I've already seen the results. Sorry your pupil beat you, but you can take credit for the teaching!

    ReplyDelete