Saturday, June 30, 2012

Yummy, easy cookies!

I did something the other day that I normally NEVER do.  I sat down and watched TV in the middle of the day.  Fortunately for me I had recorded the Pioneer Woman program.  Have you ever watched that cooking show?  The star of the show is Ree Drummond and she has several cookbooks out, home schools her 4 kids, and has a cooking show on Food Network. This particular show she had a recipe for Strawberry Jam Bar Cookies that was so simple I literally stopped the program and went in the kitchen, made the cookies and threw them in the oven, then came back and finished watching her show.  The recipe is so simple I didn't even have to write it down.  If you haven't visited her site here is the link:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/.  She is an amazing woman and has some really terrific recipes.  This is Ree's recipe for those bar cookies:

Strawberry (or whatever flavor you like) Jam Oatmeal Bar Cookies

1 1/2 cups Quick Oats
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 sticks of unsalted butter, chopped into 1 inch squares
10 ounces of berry jam

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the oatmeal and the flour.  Add in the brown sugar, salt and baking powder.  Stir all the dry ingredients together.  Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or your hands.  Cut the butter in until the mixture resembles small pea shapes.  Pack one half of this dry mixture into a buttered       9" x 13" baking dish.  Spoon the jam on top of the packed mixture.  Spread carefully.  Cover the jam with the other half of the dry ingredients.  Pat this down gently.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.  It will be lightly browned on the top.  I cut the bars while they were still hot and then allowed the bars to cool to room temperature.  It made 12 nice sized bars.  I gave some to friends and my husband enjoyed his with a cold glass of milk!

1 comment:

  1. I'm on my way over for dessert! Coffee would be great as well!!! Then we can make some art together! Are you ready? These look scrumptious! I love her, and her blog is great as well!

    ReplyDelete